Sunday, May 20, 2007

Feeding Frenzy

We visited our local zoo today. It was our first trip to this zoo. It is pretty small compared to big city zoos, but then again I live in a small city compared to big cities. Anyway, one of the exhibits is of Japanese Coy fish. There is a dock with multiple gum-ball type vending machines filled with fish food. For 50 cents, you can feed these fish. As you can see from the pictures, it is a feeding frenzy! The fish were literally swimming right over top of each other. The picture may look a bit misleading. These fish are not trapped in this square pool. They have a whole lake to swim around in. So they are gathered around the dock by choice or, more appropriately, learned behavior.

I like that the exhibit is interactive, however I also think it is just ridiculous! All these fish crowding around this dock for food doesn't really represent anything about what they are like in the wild. But heck, I was at the zoo! Nothing is really as it is in the wild. It was really more representative of any McDonalds in the US.

Alli's favorite game is pat-a-cake.


Grandpa Dave is here to cram in as much golf as he and Dan can in 5 days.




1 comment:

Kate said...

I want to take Fischer to the zoo one of these days! It was great to see all of your new pictures...especially the feeding frenzy. I am going to have to show Chris...
How nice to have Dave their for a few days, I bet Alli is enjoying it.
It looks like Alli likes food as much as Fish does. He can hardly shove it in fast enough. :)