Unless you are a political junkie, you probably don't get what the caucuses are all about. I didn't until recently. I live in Iowa. Iowa, who has fought to keep its "First in the Nation" status in starting the process of presidential candidate selection, has spoken and the precedent has been set for the 2008 election. Tonight, we residents of this quiet, rural, often overlooked state turned out in record numbers to participate in our neighborhood caucuses.
A caucus is the most basic process I have ever participated in. Literally 200 people, many of whom I recognized as my next door neighbors, showed up at our precinct (a middle school lunch room). We split up into groups based on which candidate we supported and we were counted.OK there was a bit of parliamentary process speak, but it was so simple. With that process being repeated in hundreds of locations across this state, we have made history. And all of America is listening.
I am very proud to be and American and an Iowan and feel good about standing up and being counted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
That is absolutely cool! Thanks for the information and painting the Iowan political picture!
Good for you, how neat.
And happy anniversary too! Come see us!
I know you & dan are disappointed by Hillary's 2nd place finish... my condolences.
matt gainesolez
Ah-Ha . . . your caucus process belies your political affiliation . . . the *ahem* OTHER PARTY has a different caucus procedure.
I won't "out" you though, Shelly. Though my silence may come at a significant cost . . .
So - were you and Dan in different groups? Was that weird?
Post a Comment